Monday, January 29, 2007


Koombaba Bay was published in
Cooking for One
Poems on Surviving the Death of a Spouse
Edited by Helen Annand

Koombana Bay

Walking along Koombana Beach
to Port McCleod
the sun setting beyond Rocky Point
on Back Beach
I watch for the dolphins
but they are away
frolicking upon some far off wave
catching a last fish for the day.

I look to the west again.
You used to come from there
to our rendezvous.

I reach the spot where we met
and try to remember you
fifty years ago
slender
long hair tied in a ponytail
firm brown legs in shorts
but images of our granddaughter intercede
and I see her, not you
as you once were.

Memories are fleeting
tiny cameos
like rain drops on spring mornings.

Suddenly you came
sneaking out from beneath the image
of our granddaughter.
I hang onto your smile
as desperately as I held onto your life
but the smile has gone
as you have
and I walk alone
beside the darkening waters
of Koombana Bay.

Laurel Lamperd

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home