Friday, December 29, 2006


Poetry NZ is New Zealand's leading poetry magazine edited by Alistair Paterson. The magazine showcases new writing from New Zealand and overseas poets.

Website www.geocities.com/poetrynz

The Letter Writer
and Vermeer

I dip the quill
in the ink well.

Dear Mr Leeuwenhoek

You came
to work
in my father’s counting house.

I was pleased to receive
your good wishes

You kissed my hand,
your skin firm and smooth,
your form pleasing,
your eyes shining with youth.

On my betrothment
to Mijnheer Van Ruijens,
my father’s business partner.

You smiled shyly.
My delight in you grows.
I ache to be held
to know your kisses.

He owns the Tulip Gardens
in Langendijck Street.

I visit there
each Tuesday morning.
Meet me there
my dearest love.

Laurel Lamperd
Published in Poetry New Zealand 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home